Schizophrenia is a disabling disorder with enormous personal, societal and economic cost. Despite its strong genetic component, the underlying genetic architecture remains largely unknown.
We will perform whole genome sequencing of 376 members of 88 families enrolled in the Western Australian family study of schizophrenia (WAFSS), including 113 individuals with a diagnosis of schizophrenia. We will use the sequence data to conduct a gene-centric analysis of rare genomic variants likely to contribute to schizophrenia risk in these families.
This project is a collaborative effort between GOHaD and the Centre for Clinical Research in Neuropsychiatry (CCRN), School of Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences at Graylands Hospital and the Texas Biomedical Research Institute (TBRI):
- Prof Assen Jablensky, CCRN, UWA
- Prof Eric Moses GOHaD, UWA
- Dr Nina McCarthy, GOHaD, UWA
- Dr Phillip Melton, GOHaD, UWA
- Prof Vera Morgan, CCRN, UWA
- Prof Johanna Badcock, CCRN, UWA
- A/Prof Flavie Waters, CCRN, UWA
- Professor Nicholas Stefanis, CCRN, UWA
- Professor John Blangero, TBRI, UWA
- Dr Bharti Morar, CCRN, UWA
- A/Prof Milan Dragovic, CCRN, UWA
- Dr Gregory Price, CCRN, UWA
- Spencer Allan, Lawrie Abraham, Eric Moses, Phillip Melton, Johanna Badcock, Milan Dragovic, Bharti Morar, Assen Jablensky & Nina McCarthy. ‘High resolution, genome wide linkage analysis of cognitive deficit in the Western Australian Family Study of Schizophrenia (WAFSS)’. Australian Neurogenetics Conference, Brisbane, September 2014.
- Nina McCarthy, Spencer Allan, Sarah Ward, Phillip Melton, Johanna Badcock, Milan Dragovic, Bharti Morar, Eric Moses, Assen Jablensky. ‘High resolution linkage analysis of cognitive deficit in the Western Australian Family Study of Schizophrenia (WAFSS) suggests further evidence for pleitropy in neuropsychiatric disorders’. Medical Research Foundation Young Investigator’s Day, Royal Perth Hospital, September 2014. Winner of the Young Clinical Investigator Award.
- Phillip Melton ‘Rare variant identification in schizophrenia using whole-genome sequencing:The Western Australian Family Study of Schizophrenia (WAFSS) Analytical Plan.’ The CRC for Mental Health/AIBL Research Conference, Melbourne, April 2014.
- Nina McCarthy ‘Rare Genetic Variation Associated with Schizophrenia in the Western Australian Family Study of Schizophrenia (WAFSS)’. The CRC for Mental Health Annual Scientific Conference, Melbourne, November 2012.
- Spencer Allan, Nina McCarthy, Phillip Melton, Johanna Badcock, Milan Dragovic, Bharti Morar, LawrieAbraham, Eric Moses, Assen Jablensky. ‘High resolution linkage analysis of cognitive deficit in the Western Australian Family Study of Schizophrenia’. Combined Biological Sciences Meeting, Perth, September 2014.
NHRMC Project Grant 2013-2016: $960,312. Schizophrenia under the genomic lens: next generation sequencing of Western Australian families with schizophrenia (1064582).
- CIA - Prof Assen Jablensky
- CIB - Prof Eric Moses
- CIC - Doctor Nina McCarthy
- CID - Doctor Phillip Melton
- CIE - Prof Vera Morgan
- CIF - Prof Johanna Badcock
- CIG - A/Prof Flavie Waters